Experience the joy of dance while developing confidence, creativity and sound technical foundations.
Ages: preschool – 18 year olds
Classical ballet is a disciplined art form, giving students an awareness of posture, musicality, spacial awareness and an opportunity to develop focus, commitment and concentration skills. All these abilities are an important part of a dancer's development and are an excellent foundation for other dance forms including creative and contemporary dance.
About OTM Ballet classes
- OTM teaches the Laurel Martyn Dance Teaching System (LMDTS), a holistic and creative approach to ballet brought to Australia by Laurel Martyn OBE and influenced by the Russian Vaganova method.
- The LMDTS emphasises creative expression, musicality and a thorough understanding of the basic structure and movements of the body. In this way it reflects the OTM values and principles.
- Ballet exams are held annually and are an option for students who are keen to challenge themselves in a formalised way.
- OTM places great importance on dance safety and impeccable technique. We also incorporate the Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT) system by Marie Walton-Mahon ensuring that our students reach their highest potential with an awareness of the biomechanics of dance alongside their artistry.
- Our classical ballet program begins with our Petit Ballet Classes designed for preschoolers, through to classical ballet training for Primary (Stage 1 to 4) to the Senior level (Degree 1 to 6) in the Laurel Martyn Dance Teaching System.
What to wear
Please refer to uniform section of our ballet handbook for detailed information on what to wear to your ballet class.