Modern, jazz and classical dance come together in our contemporary classes. Work on your agility, technique and artistic expression.
Ages: grade 4 – teens
Incorporating elements of classical, modern and jazz, our contemporary dance classes focus on strength, coordination and performance.
Teachers Robbie and Seung Hi bring their own distinctive approaches to their classes. Seung Hi’s style is informed by her traditional Korean training which is strong, percussive, artistic and passionate. Robbie, who has been at Over the Moon since he was two years old, is a graduate of the VCA. His teaching has a contemporary and humorous Australian flavour.
About OTM Contemporary Dance classes
We teach a systematic and progressive syllabus that incorporates the following techniques within every class:
- Warm up and cool down
- Skillful change of levels
- Floor work
- Elevation (leaps, jumps etc)
- Travelling sequence (moving across the room using a range of techniques]
- Changes of direction or turns
- Dynamic variation
- Isolation (a coordination skill where different body parts move simultaneously and independently from each other)
- Performance skills
Please note: these classes are physically demanding. It is recommended that students commit to attending a class for at least 12 months to learn the necessary skills for a robust contemporary dance technique.
What to wear
- A short or long sleeved tee-shirt
- Leggings, shorts or tracksuit pants
- Hair tied off the face
- No jewellery
- Bare feet